CHILDREN & YOUTH SERVICES DEPARTMENT
Children & Youth
The CLC Children and Youth Services Department is devoted to celebrating the spiritual development of each child we teach. We provide a safe, positive, loving environment for each child to develop their own individual creativity and special talents unique to them. All age groups are involved in various activities, workshops, and special projects which incorporate the teachings of Science of Mind. We strive to create an atmosphere of love and kindness in our words and actions toward each other and to recognize and honor the diversity of each and every person.
Toddlers (up to age 3) Our toddlers are lovingly cared for by our toddler teachers. In their very artistically designed Discovery room, the children are encouraged to interact and experience their world as only a toddler can. They are offered games, toys, books and other age-appropriate activities in a safe, secure and loving environment.
3-6 age group Beginning around the age of 3, our toddlers are moved to the Ingenuity classroom. This group begins to learn the basics of Treatment and the value of giving a smile and a kind word. Our creative teachers provide age-appropriate instruction and activities. Twice a month, the children are visited by a volunteer reader who reads a book, tells a story or performs a skit with a learning component directly related to Science of Mind teaching.
7-11 age group The children between the ages of 7 and 11 are in the Quimby classroom. This group regularly practices the steps of Treatment presented in a manner appropriate to their age group. The teachers provide learning tools, creative projects, workshops and other teaching methods to engage each childā€™s learning of the principles of the Science of Mind teaching.
12 and up This group meets on the second floor of the Learning Center in the Hopkins classroom. They are engaged in special projects, workshops, have guest speakers and are involved in several volunteer service endeavors at CLC. The teachers working with this group encourage their talents, keep them engaged in learning the principles of the Science of Mind teaching and we also throw in a bit of fun along the way!
From the Director of CLC'S Children & Youth Services:
It is our pleasure to be of service to you and your child(ren). Your sense of comfort leaving your children in our care is important to us; more important still is their safety while entrusted to us. Between 11:00 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. Sundays, your child must either be in the appropriate class, or seated in the Great Hall with you. These are the only two options. Children are not permitted to roam the CLC campus unsupervised, nor to leave it without you or with whomever you have given us written permission to allow to take them from the grounds.
On Sundays, please bring your child(ren), who will be attending class, to the registration desk in the south lobby of the Learning Center for check-in, and complete the necessary forms for children who are new with us. Please advise the teacher of your childā€™s class of any special instructions or health issues concerning your child(ren).
I am so grateful for our loving teachers and other volunteers who support the children and youth program. What we accomplish, we accomplish together as a supportive, loving team. I encourage everyone to thank those who are in service to the children. Their devotion to the children provide an atmosphere where parents can attend services knowing their children are being cared for, encouraged and loved.
If you have any questions about the program or want to speak with me for any reason, I am in my office located in the Learning Center from 10:15 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. on Sundays, by e-mail or by cell phone at (281) 651-9295. If you need more time or these times are inconvenient, please contact me and we can set an appointment.
Rev. Debra Morwood, RSc.P
What we teach our children
- We teach our children that God is Life - the Life within each of them and in all Creation; that all people are children of the One God, regardless of race, color or creed, and therefore, all are brothers and sisters.
- We teach that God is Good - all Good, and we are all created in the image of God - Good.
- We teach that God is Love, that we love God because God loves us; we obey God's laws through love, not fear.
- We teach that sin is a mistake and when we make mistakes, we are punished by them, not by God.
- We teach that God is Spirit and present everywhere, that this Spirit is within us and speaks to us through our minds when we are willing to listen.
- We teach that there are spiritual laws that must be obeyed just as we obey man-made laws.
- We teach that religion is something to be used every day, not just on Sundays.
- We teach that Religious Science is a religion that can be used at home, at school and at play; that since God is within us, heaven is also within us, that is we learn to live our lives in harmony with God's Law, we live in heaven now.
- We teach that God's love heals our sickness and hurt, if we believe.
- We teach that God is truth and beauty, peace and harmony; that as we grow to be more like God, our lives will be filled with health, happiness and success.
- We teach that nothing is too wonderful to happen, nothing is too good to be true: everything is possible to God through me and you!